Sunday 22 May 2011

Subway Sublion - Pride in Bournemouth - Summer 2011

I recently won a charitable competition supporting Pride in Bournemouth who, this summer, is raising money for the Born Free Foundation and Julia's house which is a children’s hospice.



"Pride in Bournemouth is a fantastic concept and great way to bring out the best of creativity, businesses and people in Bournemouth!"
Cowlard 2011 (Tandi Creative Media)

It all started when I was around Bournemouth University and thought I would read our students monthly magazine. When I got home I flicked through the pages and came across the competition with a blank lion which caught my eye probably due to the fact that I am South African and lions are part of the Group 5. The subway logo drew my attention in to read on further... what could Subway possibly have to do with a lion? Have a look




As I walked in I realised that the first thing customers see are the photographs of the foods available above and on the walls as well as the fresh bread standing alongside the ingredients enclosed inside the shimmering glass. I then thought that this delicious, fresh and brightly coloured food needed to somehow be in potential consumers faces on the lion, like it is inside Subway. This way the public will see the lion at Pride In Bournemouth this summer and be enticed to come in and try what they have to offer.

I was announced the winner in April (see the Facebook link) and received free subway vouchers and tickets to Pride In Bournemouth. I am very excited to be a part of such a big charitable event and am so happy that I went for the competition.
My rough design:

As you can see my design comprised of cheese, cucumbers, lettuce, meat balls, tomatoes, fresh bread rolls and peppers. I want these colours to be bright with a combination of warm colours as well as fluorescent ones which compliment each other and makes the outlines of the food stand out as if you can touch them.
On the back of the lion I have further incorporated the design of the green Subway promotional/ loyalty card. This is on offer in any Subway and is a way of collecting points and gaining great deals and offers from Subway. The bright green needs to stand out in order to promote the card itself, this way consumers who get the card will feel involved not only with Subway, but with its Subway Sublion. I deliberately did this to create a connection between the Subway brand and Pride In Bournemouth. This pattern should be bright and the white circles should compliment the design on the card. It should be glossy and look attractive to consumers as if they were getting a very special card, only for Subway customers.
Loyalty card:


I will be attending the production of my Lion throught its development and will blog about what went on and what ideas or alterations to the design occur. Please comment and say what you think of my design! I am no artist but I thought the idea was appropriate for the Subway brand, what do you think?
The competition involved having to create a design on the lion which promotes the Subway brand. Yet, Subway’s logo was not allowed to be placed on the lion which gave me a chance to show my creative skills. I went to the Subway in Winton to get inspired for a unique design which I could implement to the colourless lion.

No comments:

Post a Comment